In This Course Where We Will Talk Aboutquestions In The English Language.
The Main Change To Do When We Pass From Affirmative Sentence To An Interrogative Sentence (Question) Is To Invert The Order Of The Subject And The First Auxiliary Verb. Here Are Some Examples::
| You are from France. | Are you from France? |
| Marc is a teacher. | Is Marc a teacher? |
| I read a book. | Do you read a book? |
| He read a book. | Does he read a book? |
| I went to school. | Did you went to school? |
From these example we can deduce these rules:
- When the verb is ‘to be’ we just invert the subject and the verb (Example 1 & Example 2)
- When it’s another verb we add to the sentence the verb ”To do’ in the same tense of the verb of the affirmative sentence. (Simple present in Example 3 & Example 4, and simple past in example 5).
For the tense ‘simple past and simple present’ interrogative sentences have the form:
To do + the affirmative sentence
For the perfect tenses we use the form: Have+subject+participle of the verb. Examples:
| I have been at school | Have you been at school? |
it’s like the first examples (example 1 & example 2), because we invert the order of the subject and the first auxiliary verb.
Same thing for some different expressions like modal verbs and the adverbs: we invert the order of the subject and the modal verb or the adverb. Examples:
| I am at home. | Where are you? |
| Yes, I can read this book. | Can you read this book? |
| I read a book. | What do you do? |
this course, we will talk about some expressions used in the english language: Either/or & Neither/nor.
- Either/or:
Either and Or are used together in a sentence to compare two things or two actions and just one can happen. Example:
- Either you go to school or you go home.
This example means that you have to choose one of the two actions, you can’t go to school and go at home in the same time.
- Neither/Nor:
Neither and Nor are used in a sentence to say that two things/actions can’t happen.
- I could neither laugh nor cry.
This example means that I can’t laugh and I can’t cry, the two things are impossibleIn this course, we will talk about relative clause. we begin with some examples to introduce you to this grammar lesson:
- The man who is with the teacher is my father
- Here is the hotel that my friend visited yesterday
- The city where I live is beautiful
You may notice in these examples that we have two parts in the sentences, connected by a noun. The secont part is called relative clause and the noun between is the relative (it may be a pronoun, an adverb..).
The relative noun is used to give extra information about the subject or the whole sentence we are talking about. There are differents types of these nouns. We will talk about relative pronouns and relative adverbs.
Relative pronouns:
The relative pronouns are: who, which and that. Who is used for people (humans), which for objects and that for both of them. They are used to tell some informations about the subject, or precise it. Here are some examples:
- The man who is with the teacher is my father.
- The apple that I ate was delicious.
Relative adverbs:
The relative adverbs are: where, when and why.
Where is used to refer to a place, when is used to refer to a time and why refers to a reason. You’ll find below some examples to understand more these special adverbs:
- The restaurant where I have dinner is so calm
- Fortunately there are times when you are in a good mood.
- I was angry at you, that’s why I didn’t call you back
Other relative nouns: whom & whose.
Whom is like the relative pronoun who, but whom is used when we talk about the object of the relative clause. Example:
- The man whom you talk to me about, is my father.
Whose is a possessive pronoun, used as the subject of the relative clause. Example:
- The man whose car is red, is my fatherCourse of grammar about the expressions “I wish” and “if only”.
These two expressions are used in different forms to express wish, regret or complaining.
- How to express wish
In this case, both expressions I wish and if only are followed by simple past. The past tense is not a real past, it expresses a wish in the present or in the future.
Examples:
- I wish I knew how to speak british english.
- If only you didn’t live far away.
- I wish I were a billionaire.
When the verb is ‘To be’ and the subject is ‘I’ we use ‘I were’ instead of ‘I was’.
- How to express regret
In this case, the expressions are followed by past perfect. We use it to express a regret of something we didn’t in the past. it’s a wish of the past.
- I wish I had known the answer.
- If only you had been present.
- How to express complaining
In this case, we express our complaining about a behavior or dissatisfaction. It’s formed using the modal ‘would’ +verb.
- I wish you would work hard for your exams.
- If only you would stop crying!
- I wish he would explain more his coursesBefore reading this lesson, it’s advisable to see the lesson: Articles a/an and the
Article zero: we talk about it when we don’t need to use an article before a noun in a sentence.
| I love the cats. | Not correct |
| I love cats. | Correct |
We don’t use any article in these situations:
1-When we talk about a noun representing a thing in general:
| Cats are beautiful. |
| Love is, all you need. |
2-When we talk about something we like, love or hate:
| I like Moroccan tea. |
| I love English. |
| I hate Spanish. |
3-When we speak about meals, places, and proper noun:
| I have dinner late last night. |
| I go to school everyday. |
| UK is a powerful country. |
4- and other situations:
| Lord of the rings. | Books titles |
| Terrorist attack in Russia. | Headlines |
| I play football. | Sports |
0 comments:
Post a Comment